This form is for all art submissions. Such works may include paintings, photographs (including high-quality photos of 3-D or mixed-media work), prints, digital illustrations, graphic short stories, and so on.
- Cover art is a single color image for the front with either a related image or cropped portion of the cover image printed on the back. You can see examples of our previous covers here.
- Inside art is a spread of approximately 4-8 pages of black-and-white images. The cover art and inside art are most often from different artists but may be from the same person depending on how a series lends itself.
- For our inside art spread, we prefer to publish 4-8 pieces that work together as a series (whether you originally created them with that intent or not). Please submit up to 12 images; we like having more to choose from than we ultimately will publish.
- If submitting a graphic short story, please submit only one at a time.
- Work submitted to River Styx must be previously unpublished in print. By submitting it, you assert that you hold all publication rights and permissions for the images.
- We will consider work that is currently under consideration elsewhere but ask that you inform us of such and notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Expect three to five months for a decision.
Submit up to three poems in a single Word Doc. Each poem’s length should be limited to two pages or fewer. After submitting your work, you will receive a 150-to-250-word critique for each poem within 10 business days, from the editor you have selected. Critiques will comment on poetry elements such as sound, image, form, pacing, themes, subject matter, and more.
Individual poetry critiques are $50 for a submission of one poem, $75 for two poems, and $100 for three poems.
For fiction and nonfiction, submit one manuscript up to 6,000 words in a Word Doc. You will receive a 250-to-400-word critique within 10 business days of submission. These critiques will comment on prose elements such as imagery, pacing, point of view, structure, theme, motivation, conflict, background, scenes, and more.
Individual prose critiques are $125 for each submission of 2,000-to-6,000 words. Alternatively, you may submit two or three flash fiction pieces (up to 1,000 words each) for the same $125 flat fee.
For fiction and nonfiction, submit one manuscript up to 6,000 words in a Word Doc. You will receive a 250-400-word critique within 15 business days of submission.
Workshop prose critique pricing consists of a $125 flat fee for each submission of 3,000- 6,000 words, plus $50 for each editor added to the workshop. Alternatively, you may submit two or three flash fiction pieces up to 1,000 words each for critique for the same $125 flat fee. For example, a workshop with three editors cost $275.
Submit up to three poems in a Word Doc. Each poem’s length should be limited to two pages or fewer. After submitting your work, you will receive a 150-250-word critique for each poem within 15 business days.
Workshop poetry critiques are $100 for each submission, plus $50 for each editor added to the workshop. For example, a workshop with three editors would cost $250.
$15 contest entry fee, and you'll receive the issue containing the winning stories (tentatively scheduled for Issue #107).
$20 reading fee, and you'll receive a one-year subscription, starting with the winning stories issue plus the following issues
- Please submit up to three stories. Submit each story in a separate file (the system will allow you to upload up to three files with each submission.)
- 500 words maximum per story
- Additional stories may be submitted in a separate submission with additional submission fee
- Previously published stories, including those that have appeared on web sites, blogs, social media, and personal home pages, are not eligible
- First-place story wins $1,000 and publication
- Second- and third-place stories will be published
- All stories considered for possible publication